Kanai’s Cube is a very important tool for Diablo III’s end game, but it can also make the early game much easier. It has a multitude of uses, which includes letting your character gain extra equipment abilities, and reducing much of the RNG when getting the perfect gear for Greater Rift pushing.
It is not available by default – you will have to find it first. Once you do, it will be unlocked for all characters in the same game mode (Normal, Seasonal, or Hardcore).
Finding Kanai’s Cube
Kanai’s Cube can be found at any time. Though, since enemies will scale with your level, it can be easier to get it while you’re low level.
- It will be located in the Ruins of Sescheron in Act 3 (at the top-right Waypoint of the map).
- Once inside, go to the end of the second level and you will unlock Kanai’s Cube.
Once unlocked, it can be found in any town.
Kanai’s Cube Recipes
Once you have unlocked Kanai’s Cube, all of its functions will be immediately available.
1.) Archive of Tal Rasha
- Extract the effect of a Legendary.
- Materials required: 1 Khanduran Rune, 1 Caldeum Nightshade, 1 Arreat War Tapestry, 1 Corrupted Angel Flesh, 1 Westmarch Holy Water, 5 Death’s Breaths.
- Extracted Legendaries are stored in the Cube.
- Once an effect is stored, a character can equip the effect in the menu, so it will be active no matter what equipment they have.
- Only three effects can be equipped this way – one for weapons/off-hands, one for armor, and one for jewelry.
- Effects equipped this way will always have the highest value possible.
- The vast majority of Legendaries can be extracted, and you can extract Legendaries of any level.
2.) Law of Kulle
- Rerolls all of the stats of a Legendary item, with a chance of it being upgraded to Ancient or Primal.
- Materials required: 5 Khanduran Rune, 5 Caldeum Nightshade, 5 Arreat War Tapestry, 5 Corrupted Angel Flesh, 5 Westmarch Holy Water, 50 Forgotten Souls.
- Rerolling an item will be “smart-looted” to your current character, meaning the new stats will be ones useful to them, as long as you’re not rerolling a Class-specific piece.
- For example, if you reroll an item with Strength while using a Monk, the rerolled gear will have Dexterity instead.
- Keep in mind that if you reroll an Ancient or Primal piece, there is a chance it doesn’t come back the same quality – it could be downgraded to a regular Legendary.
- Crafted items cannot be rerolled.
3.) Hope of Cain
- Upgrades a Rare item into a Legendary or Set piece of the same item type.
- Required Materials: 1 Rare piece of equipment, 25 Death’s Breaths, 50 Reusable Parts, 50 Arcane Dusts, 50 Veiled Crystals.
- Upgraded equipment will always be part of your current Class’s drop pool, and will be smart-looted to them.
- There is a chance that the upgraded item will be Ancient or Primal.
4.) Skill of Nilfur
- Converts a Set item into another gear piece from the same Set.
- Required Materials: 10 Death’s Breaths, 10 Forgotten Souls.
- The converted item cannot be Ancient or Primal.
5.) Work of Cathan
- Removes the level requirement of an item, allowing you to equip it at level 1.
- Required Materials: 1 Legendary piece of equipment, 1 Gem of Ease (level 25+)
6.) Darkness of Radament
- Allows you to convert gems into another color (for example, changing Rubies into Diamonds).
- Required Materials: 9 of any type of gem, 1 Essence of the gem you want to obtain.
- For example, use an Essence of Ruby if you want to get more Rubies.
7.) Pleasure, Regret, and Wrath of Iben Flaud
- Allows you to convert 100 of one of the regular crafting materials (Reusable Parts, Arcane Dust, or Veiled Crystals) into 100 of another type.
- Required Materials: 100 Reusable Parts, Arcane Dust, or Veiled Crystals (depending on what you want to convert), 1 item of the quality you want to convert into, 1 Death’s Breath.
- These are shown as three different recipes in the Cube, but the only difference is the material you want to be converted.
8.) Caldesann’s Despair
- Augments a chosen Ancient or Primal item, giving it an extra affix.
- Required materials: 1 Ancient or Primal piece of equipment, 1 Legendary Gem, 3 Flawless Royal gems of a chosen color.
- The affix added will be determined by the Flawless Royal gem chosen for the recipe.
- The affix will correspond with the stat the chosen gem gives to armor (its “other” effect). For example, using a Flawless Royal Topaz will augment the piece with Intelligence.
- Any Legendary Gem can be used for the recipe. It needs to be at least level 30 for weapons, 40 for jewelry, and 50 for armor.
- By far the best gem to use for this recipe is the Whisper of Atonement (found in the Echoing Nightmare). The gem is designed for this, and is otherwise useless.